15th Annual SWSGA Steel Guitar Show
January 11, 12 & 13, 2018 - 9am to midnight
- Top Steel Guitarists
- Non-Pedal Steel Session
- 50/50 Raffles
- PSG & Equipment Raffles
- Silent Auctions
- Special Events
- Surprise Performers
- Numerous Vendors
- Technical Demonstrations
A block of rooms has been reserved for January 10, 2018 - January 14, 2018. Special room rates will be available until December 22nd or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
You can make reservations online here.
You can also make reservations by phone at 480-833-5555. You must tell them that you are registering for the Southwestern Steel Guitar Association Show to get the show rate.
Our Group Name is: SWSGA
Our Group Code is: SGA
Chuck Back, Bill Bassett, Bobby Black, Frank Carter, Jody Cameron, Jonathan Candler, Bob Case, Steve Cattermole, Doug Childress, Carco Clave, Jim Cohen, Bill Cunningham, Tommy Dodd, Mark Giles, Paul Haaker, Randy Hess, Russ Hicks, Dick Hitchcock, Carl Johnson, Fred Justice, Jacob King, Bobby Lee, Chuck Lettes, Larry Lenhart, Doug Livingston, Jay Dee Maness, Kenny Morris, Tom Mossburg, Del Mullen, Johnny Oakley, Darrell Owens, Steve Palousek, Ron Pruter, Kevin Ryan, Larry Sasser, Rick Schmidt, Mike Sigler, Herb Steiner, Austin Stewart, Albert Talley, Larry Toliver, Jan Wise, Christopher Woitach, David Wright
Our outstanding house band includes Harry Orlove, Mark Abbott, Skip Edwards, Dan Range, Denny Sarver, and others.
Masters of Ceremony
Ray Harrison, Bill Bassett, Ray Jenkins, and Darrell Bircher
There will be a Non-Pedal show from 1:00 to 4:30 pm Saturday, hosted by Chuck Lettes & Bob Blair.
- Larry Toliver and Steve Palousek - E9 Pedal Steel
- Friday, January 12th, 9am to noon
Intermediate to Advanced
- Steve and I will focus on 2 popular C6th songs on E9th, both of which I think are awesome! The 1st is Night Life as only Steve can play it, and we got 99% of the same C6th licks moved over to the E9th neck. The 2nd is Don't Get Around Much Anymore, and It does involve lowering the 10th string 1 whole tone down to an A. I have this on my RR which already lowers my 9th & 2nd strings, so this should be no problem for most steels to add. It gets that Fat sound on your E9th. Here is a taste of each song and a live description of what we are doing as well.
Don't Get Around Much Any More
We also plan to have some of Steve's best C6 hot licks on E9th for the class as well. This class will not be one that you want to miss. We do hope to see you in Phoenix in January.
- Jody Cameron - Chord Theory for E9th tuning
- Friday, January 12th, 1:00 to 5:00 pm
- This seminar will be different from last year's course. This time we will focus on chord theory for the E9 tuning. The course is designed so that it will make sense to you even if you don't have a strong background in music theory. In fact, it is aimed at folks who may need or want to improve their knowledge base in this area. Knowing a bit of chord theory can really help one "see" what is happening on the guitar as you play. We will NOT be reading music; only discussing and applying the nuts and bolts of what you really need to know to figure out any chord in a song, build chords, identify the function of your knee levers and pedals, recognize what each string's function is at any given fret and pedal combination and more. This will be a "working man's" theory class, a cut to the chase, no nonsense, "what's REALLY important" class. Cost is $35, You may pre-register through the SWSGA, or you may register at the show. Looking forward to seeing you there.
- Chuck Lettes - Lap Steel Seminar
- Saturday, January 13th, 10am to noon
- Chuck will discuss some ways to work up arrangements of popular tunes, similar to his columns for the Pedal Steel Guitar Association's (PSGA) Newsletter. In addition, he will illustrate some techniques that he's developed to help make practice time more productive. He will provide tab and for the material that will be discussed. Bring your steel if you wish, and some headphones. Please contact Chuck ahead of time so that he'll have material for all participants. Website: chucklettes.com
To register in advance for these seminars, you can send a note and payment to PO Box 1129, Globe, AZ 85502. You can also register at the show.
$5.00 of each student's fee will go to support the SWSGA.
Raffle and Silent Auction items
We are happy to announce that once again, Gretsch Guitars will be donating 2 beautiful guitars. Telonics will be donating a volume pedal, and Peterson Tuners will be donating a strobe Tuner. There will also be a beautiful hand made Steel Guitar Quilt, a Boss Katana 100 amp, along with many other items. These will be auctioned at the show.
- Advance Purchase (must purchase by Jan 10):
- Member - $60 for all 3 days
- Non-member - $65.00 for all 3 days
- At the door
- $25.00 per day, $75.00 for all 3 days
Mail advance ticket payment to:
SWSGA, PO Box 1129
Globe, AZ 85502
There will not be any video recording of the show allowed. This will be announced, posted and strictly enforced.