17th Annual SWSGA Steel Guitar Show
January 9, 10 & 11, 2020 - 9am to midnight
- Top Steel Guitarists
- Many Genres of Music
- Non-Pedal Steel Session
- 50/50 Raffles
- PSG & Equipment Raffles
- Silent Auctions
- Special Events
- Surprise Performers
- Numerous Vendors
- Technical Demonstrations
A block of rooms has been reserved for January 8, 2019 - January 12, 2020. Special room rates will be available until December 18th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
You can make reservations online here.
You can also make reservations by phone at 480-833-5555. You must tell them that you are registering for the Southwestern Steel Guitar Association Show to get the show rate.
Our Group Name is: Southwestern Steel Guitar Association
Our Group Code is: SWG
(subject to change) Chuck Back, Bill Bassett, Bob Bernstein, Bobby Black, Pete Burak, Jody Cameron, Jonathan Candler, Dee Carestia, Paul Carestia, Frank Carter, Bob Case, Carco Clave, Jim Cohen, Richard Comeaux, Barb Crowell, Bill Cunningham, Milo Dearing, Sharon Denny, Billy Easton, Jerry Fessenden, Peter Freiberger, Mark Giles, Paul Haaker, Olli Haavisto, Bruce Heffner, Russ Hicks, Carl Johnson, Chuck Lettes, Doug Livingston, Jay Dee Maness, Hal Merrill, Kenny Morris, Wally Moyers, Darrell Owens, Steve Palousek, Joe Rogers, Kevin Ryan, Larry Sasser, Rick Schmidt, Stu Schulman, Gary Sill, Rose Sinclair, Mitchell Smithey, Lynn Stafford, Herb Steiner, Larry Toliver, Uncle Tony, Dan Tyack, Leona and Ron Williams, Jan Wise, Christopher Woitach, David Wright
Our outstanding house band includes Mark Abbott, Chuck Back, Skip Edwards, Dan Range, and others.
Masters of Ceremony
Billy Easton, Bill Bassett, Ray Jenkins, Ray Harrison and Darrell Bircher
- Larry Toliver and Steve Palousek
- Friday, January 9, 9am to noon
- Larry will teach Gene Watsons' Memories to Burn with melody and jam as well. Steve will teach his Steel Dreamin' which he recorded several years ago. Both songs are advanced, but YOU can learn them both. Larry and Steve will have tab booklets, CD's, and backing tracks for the class and of course, hands-on instruction... you can ask any questions, or say "show me that again". Follow video links for a taste of what you'll be learning at the class.
- Jody Cameron - Simple Music Theory for the steel player
- Friday, January 9, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
- This seminar is going to focus on music theory made simple. De-mystifying music theory for the pedal steel guitarist. Jody will also do a lick-sharing segment on some good, useful licks for practical applications. This seminar should be beneficial to players of all levels. Question and answer session as well.
- Jay Leach - Beginning Pedal Steel
- Saturday, January 10, 9am to noon
- This is a great course for anyone who has always wanted to learn the Pedal Steel and is ready to jump in or guitar players that want to take their basic knowledge of the instrument and see how it applys to the Steel. In this class Jay will cover the picks and bar, correct picking technique, the 3 floor pedals, 3 knee levers and the volume pedal plus a few easy playing things to get you started.. Syllabus for this course will be Jay’s book published through Mel Bay entitled "First Lessons Pedal Steel" available on Amazon or at the show.
- Jay Leach - Practical Chord Substitution for the E9th Tuning
- Saturday, January 10, 1pm to 3pm
- This is a course for a broad level of players from advanced beginner to working pro and is designed to add new color and texture to basic country, pop, jazz, and blues music. This class will help you to break free of traditional moves and habits that you may have done for a long time and introduce you to some basic, easy to execute, moves that not only sound great but bring a sonic freshness to music that only the Pedal Steel can offer.
To register in advance for these seminars, you can send a note and payment to PO Box 1129, Globe, AZ 85502. You can also register at the show.
$5.00 of each student's fee will go to support the SWSGA.
- Advance Purchase (must purchase by Jan 7):
- Member - $60 for all 3 days
- Non-member - $65.00 for all 3 days
- At the door
- $25.00 per day, $75.00 for all 3 days
Mail advance ticket payment to:
SWSGA, PO Box 1129
Globe, AZ 85502
There will not be any video recording of the show allowed. This will be announced, posted and strictly enforced.