12th Annual SWSGA Steel Guitar Show
January 15, 16, & 17, 2015 - 9am to midnight
- Top Steel Guitarists
- Non-Pedal Steel Session
- 50/50 Raffles
- PSG & Equipment Raffles
- Silent Auctions
- Special Events
- Surprise Performers
- Numerous Vendors
- Technical Demonstrations
Reservations: 602-943-8200 or 800-423-4126.
We have negotiated a special room rate with the hotel - $112 + tax. After January 8th, the rate jumps to $230 + tax per night. You must tell them that you are registering for the Southwestern Steel Guitar Association Annual Show to get the $112 rate.
Mernel Babineaux, Dennis Bailey, Paul Bartha, Bill Bassett, Dennis Beaver, Bobby Black, Bob Blair, Jonathan Candler, Frank Carter, Bob Case, Doug Childress, Richard Comeaux, Bill Cunningham, Neil Degraw, Sharon Denny, Tommy Dodd, Johnny Farina, Jerry Fessenden, Peter Freiberger, Mark Giles, Russ Hicks, Bud & Geri Isaacs, Doug Jernigan, Carl Johnson, Fred Justice, Chris Kennison, Jay Leach, Larry Lenhart, Doug Livingston, Jim Loessberg, Jaydee Maness, Maynard Mast, Margie Mays, Kenny Morris, Tom Mossburg, Lynn Owsley, Steve Palousek, Ivan Reddington, Joe Rogers, Kevin Ryan, Rick Schmidt, Mike Sigler, Rose Sinclair, Herb Steiner, Albert Svenddal, Larry Toliver, Dan Tyack, Jan Wise, David Wright
Leona Williams, Johnny Farina (of Santo and Johnny "Sleepwalk" fame) and The Cajun Connection
Our outstanding house band includes Chuck Back, Dan Range, Skip Edwards, Denny Sarver, and others.
This year we will be incorporating the non-pedal session into the main show on Friday afternoon.
To register for any of these classes contact the instructor (if contact info is listed), or Denny Beaver, 602.686.1273, or firstname.lastname@example.org. You need not send money now, but reserve now so that the instructors can have enough materials for all students. You can pay for the seminars at the show registration desk. (ALL of the instructors have agreed to donate a portion of your seminar enrollment fee back to the association to help offset seminar expenses. Thanks to you all!)
- Basic Music Theory & Application to E9
- Thursday, January 15th, 10 to 11:30am
Cost: FREE for members
- Denny Beaver will show some basic stuff that'll help you understand why we would choose a certain chord structure, and the "when, where, and how" we would use it . He'll briefly demonstrate how to build a chart using the Nashville number system, and exemplify some techniques to create a tablature of a sound you'd like to quickly jot down on paper. Not mandatory for this class, but recommend that you bring your guitars & headphone amps, and leave set up for Jay's Beginner's E9 class, which follows after a quick lunch break. Denny guarantees that you will get your money's worth out of this class.
- Beginner's E9 Pedal with Jay Leach
- Thursday, January 15th, 12:30 to 3:30pm
- Using his Mel Bay instructional material, Jay will take you from the ground up on the E9 pedal steel. If you're just starting out, or could use some reinforcement, you won't want to miss this class.
- Intermediate to Advanced E9 Pedal with Jay Leach
- Thursday, January 15th, 4:00 to 5:30pm
- Jay Leach continues with an intermediate to advanced class on Chord Substitution. In this class Jay will illustrate some practical examples on the E9th neck of using basic "Jazz Harmonies" to add fresh color and texture to Country, Blues, and Pop music.
- Mechanics & Maintenance of the Pedal Steel Guitar with Ron Pruter
- Friday, January 16th, 9:00 to 11:00am
- Ron's class will address questions like, "what's a compensator?", "what's a split?", and "do I need them?". He will discuss copedants, cabinet drop, how different string gauges change pitch differently, gauged rollers, hysteresis, pick-ups, string care, finish care, lubes, polishing, etc. Some topics will be specific to all-pull pedal steel guitars; other topics will apply to all pedal steels, including push-pull.
The class will be aimed at beginners, persons thinking about getting into steel guitar, and intermediate players who are not mechanically inclined.
- C6th Pedal Steel with Larry Toliver
- Friday, January 16th, 12:30 to 3:30pm
- Larry will keep you riveted with his instruction. He's planning to chart out George Strait's "You're Something Special" steel ride by Paul Franklin, a C6th speed picking song that you can preview at his website, westtexassteelguitarschool.com. He'll also be teaching the popular "Stompin' at the Savoy", which is one of his favorites. The last item he'll be teaching is a 5-chord to a 1-chord lick with 3 notes, which walk down. Simple at first, then he'll change it up at least 10 times to give you lots of licks to use on the fly. This has been one of his most popular sections at his West Texas Steel School classes. Larry rates this course of instruction at the intermediate level, or thereabouts. Bring your steel, seat, and headphones and get geared-up for three hours of good steelin! Included with his course fee is a tab booklet, backing track, the song track, and some explanation tracks.
- Intermediate to Advanced E9th with Kevin Ryan
- Saturday, January 17th, 8:30am to Noon
- Kevin will be presenting "New licks and phrases to take you to the next level." Don't miss this class!!
Raffle and Silent Auction items
This year we will have several raffles, including a one of a kind steel guitar quilt made by Meriul Easton and Peggy Porter. There will be equipment, instruments, accessories, and all kinds of things to enjoy.
Tickets for all the raffle items are $5 ea, or 5 for $20.
Leading the list of auction items is an SD10 Infinity pedal steel guitar with 4 pedals and 5 knee levers, including a Texas Red Dirt road case. More info here.
- Advance Purchase (must purchase by Jan 10):
- Member - $60 for all 3 days
- Non-member - $65.00 for all 3 days
- At the door
- $25.00 per day, $75.00 for all 3 days
Mail advance ticket payment to:
SWSGA, PO Box 1129
Globe, AZ 85502
There will not be any video recording of the show allowed. This will be announced, posted and strictly enforced.